Monday, January 19, 2009

Play Writing

I've never written a play longer than one scene, although I've helped produce several and performed in many. I majored in Drama in college so I've seen my fair share of them. My husband is a playwright and the screenplay for my first book is in the works. To sit down and write a play seems as foreign to me as speaking French or Italian.

While doing research for this article, it hit me. I've heard the roar of applause while on stage for a performance or for the production of one. I would love to hear it for one that I had written. It's not easy to take a great play and turn it into a great performance but to actually write the great play has to be a major accomplishment that I hope to one day experience.

How do I get started? What is the format? Here is a quick list from Playwriting101.com of what a play should include.

Title Page
Cast Page
Musical Numbers Page (musicals only)
Act/Scene Heading
At Rise Description
Character Name
Dialogue
Stage Directions
Transition

The first act is the Protasis, or exposition.
The second act is the Epitasis, or complication.
The final act is the Catastrophe, or resolution.

Do your research. Find software that can help you. I encourage all authors to take a swing at this. This is a great way to stretch your imagination. Try something new. You may just find your niche.

Listed below are a couple of websites that will help. Most importantly, have fun!

www.playwriting101.com/

http://www.stageaffair.com/

Copyright 2009 Lynn Tincher

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
The Literary Lynnch Pen is a weekly newsletter published by Lynn Tincher. About Lynn: Lynn was born in the small town of La Grange, Kentucky and grew up in Goshen. Lynn studied Theater Arts in College in hopes of becoming a Drama/English teacher. She has written articles in local newspapers and travel brochures. Now, she is focused on writing novels, short stories and poems. The second edition of her book "Afterthoughts" will be released in April of 2009 with the sequel "Left in the Dark" to be released on October of 2009. She also manages Artist Corner, an artist social website dedicated to help all artists become successful. Her eZine and website provides helpful tips and information. Lynn also provides email list management services. She has partnered with Constant Contact to help provide authors, artists, and small businesses the services to manage their email lists and marketing strategies, eZines, electronic newsletters, coupons and bulletins. Please visit: www.lynntincher.com artistcorner.ning.com www.myspace.com/lynntincher lynntincher.blogspot.com

Followers